How to: Carrot cake with cream cheese glazePosted: December 12, 2012
I (Sarah) have been thinking and literally dreaming of carrot cake for the past couple of days. And since yesterday was my only day off, I just had to whip this one up. It’s such a delicious and moist cake. A pretty easy recipe to follow as well. It does take a bit of time of bake but trust me, baking it any faster or with a higher temperature, and it just won’t turn out the same. If you’re a fan of carrot cake and cream cheese glaze, you’re going to want to try this. I guarantee it!
3 1/2 cups self rising flour (If you can’t find SR Flour, just use all purpose flour and add baking powder and salt or follow easy instructions here)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups grated carrot
3/4 cup walnuts (chopped-optional! OR you can toss in some raisins as well 🙂 )
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tub of sour cream (500 ml)
2 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Glaze
1 pack of Philadelphia cream cheese (softened)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups icing sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 355F
1.1. Prepare all your ingredients and remember to grate the carrots!
2. Sift together SR flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well until combined
3. Once the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg are combined, toss the chopped walnut and granted carrots into the flour and mix well
4. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream and vanilla extract together. (note- it might look like its curdling but don’t worry, once the mixture is whisked together it will turn out nice and smooth!)
5. Combine both wet and dry ingredients together and mix well.
6. Bake the carrot cake batter for about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the cake and it if comes out clean, your cake is good to go. If not, continuing baking it for another 5-10 minutes but DO keep and eye on the cake and make sure it doesn’t burn. Once the cake is done baking, let it cool for at least 20-30 minutes before frosting
7. Cream together cream cheese, vanilla extract and icing sugar until smooth or well blended
8. Frost the cake and munch away!